I made this today for the first time, I used a concoction of SUGAR (yes the dreaded “S” word, us mom’s dislike when it comes to our babies), cinnamon and creamed coconut to create the main flavour which made me apprehensive about his reaction, as I was making it. But as soon as he tasted it he was giggling to himself and putting out his hands for more, so a surprising winner and very cheap! Oh and not to forget, I can share it too!
Cost: 50 p
Preparation Time: 2 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
50 g apricots (fresh or dried)
50 g sultanas
450 ml water
1 tsp raw cane sugar
25 g creamed coconut
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
100 g couscousMethod
1. Wash apricots and sultana thoroughly, place in a saucepan with just 150 ml water, just to cover them. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is disappearing and fruit is tender.
2. Meanwhile, add the sugar, creamed coconut and cinnamon to the rest of the water in a separate saucepan and bring to boil slowly until coconut flakes and sugar grains start to dissolve.
3. Wash the couscous thoroughly!
4. Stir the couscous into the coconut sauce, remove from heat and cover, allow to stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff up couscous and stir in sticky sultanas and apricots.
5. Serve warm. Add remaining food to ice cube trays and freeze. Remove and heat in microwave for 1 minute minimum, stiring and checking every 30 seconds.